Wednesday, June 06, 2007

OMG, I'm Back Agaiaaan!

Gosh it seems like just a year ago yesterday that I last wrote. I was thinking about it today and finally wrapped up a thought about it that began several months ago... I no longer think anyone would care to read about what's up in my life because telling the tales involve either bitching or bragging. Or at least I see how it could come across that way. When I began posting my thoughts over a year ago, the subject matter was mainly about work and that is something people definitely relate to. So even when I was pissing and moaning, I figured someone out there would relate. In fact, that was the whole point of posting my thoughts. It helped me understand that I wasn't the only one hating my job and shit like that. (you may notice I got tired or that last sentence before I could finish it.)

Well I am going to try to start writing again with no particluar goal in mind. If anything, it is interesting to go back over the things I wrote many months back just to see how or if my perspective has changed. I drafted a few things that were never posted because they were either unfinished or too personal. Looking back, there was some good stuff in those texts that I could expound upon or draw ideas from for new compositions. And I will certainly try to start writing about poker again.

I always like to read others' poker posts. One thing common among them is self aggrandizing one's own skills (not sure about that prase). People talk about their losses from major suck-outs or how they continually trounce everyone they come up against. Yet they don't play professionally or even derive significant funds from playing. Well, I do play professionally but have never stated my own superiority. That is about to change...sort of.

I haven't managed to play much in the last couple of weeks. But in the past couple months, I feel confident in saying I have been playing top notch. I started focusing on reads, trying to put people on hands whether I was in the hand or not. It has resulted in better overall play. My reads have been, for the most part, spot on. Sometimes even getting the right read on an opponent from no particular information. I think that is a side effect of paying attention. In addition to excellent reads, I've been making correct decisions. Barry Greenstein calls it the optimal play.

I feel great about myself as all this has come together. I've simply been playing terrific poker. Unfortunately, I have to admit my monitary results don't tell the same story. I guess that is the sad potential outcome of no-limit play. You can play perfectly for hours only to be drawn out on in one big hand that basically ends a long session. That's what has happened most recently. One way around this would be to play limit games. But I'm not too fond of limit Hold'em and Omaha and Stud just aren't played much in L.A. The simple fact is that NLH is where all the action is. At any hour of any day I can be in action in a NLH game in about 30 minutes whether its 10-20 or 1-2 blinds. Besides, I am damn good at it. I'm hoping I will just go on a month-long rush.

It needs to happen soon, though. I love to play and would like to continue being able to call it my profession but that can't happen until I start to pay some bills out of my table stake.

One thing I realized just yesterday is that I have been wasting my time. I have the freedom to go anywhere I want whenever I want. So I don't need to stay close to home when I could hit the road at the drop of a hat. I've been a little sick this week so home is the place to be. And I have a team pool tourney in Simi Valley this weekend so I have to stick around for that. But come Monday, I'm putting rubber to the road and heading to Vegas. The WSOP is underway so I won't have any trouble finding action all week long. Now is the time. But I'll be doing it differently than ever before.

I have always had a plan for Vegas trips including (especially) a place to stay. Not this time. I could book a cheap room somewhere but why bother, really? I already have reservations at MGM for the week of July 1 when I will be there with Joanna and her friends from England. This time, I'm flying solo so I might as well wing it for a change. And who knows. I might spend to first 48 hours in a game so a room would go waste. Or I might come up winner in the first session or two and be able to choose nicer accommodations. If all else fails, I could get a cheapo off-strip litterbox just to sleep and clean up. I checked online and there are plenty of places available. I swear there are so many hotels now, the town might not be able to sell out anymore. (kissed!)

But before all that, Saturday will include the afformentioned pool tourney and the home poker tourney at Paul's. In addition to the normal payouts, we are doing a point system and small percentage from each buy-in that will go to a big tourney at the end of the year. I'm currently at the top of the points race with 24 (5 for a 1st place finish, 4 for second, etc.) and a nice lead. The points will translate into extra chips in the final tourney. I think its 200 chips/point. So I'm already going to be in great shape. If things go well in the pool tourney, I won't be able to play in the first poker tourney this week so I'm kinda torn. I don't want my team to lose at pool but I really don't want to miss any poker at Paullywood Park. And with all this going on, I already had to pass on seeing Tesla at the HOB Sunset. That sucks. I guess I could have worse troubles.

This turned into quite a post. Maybe I'll be able to make a habit of it.

SEEYa

4 comments:

Chawwles said...

Wowee wowa. A new post from Darsky! Now you've made me feel bad about my week-long post drought at my own bloggy place. Thanks a lot....

And I wish I had the freedom to take a couple days off and head out there with you next week, but goddammit anyways I'm stuck here at the office.

Chawwles said...

And hopefully next year I'll be in the position to take a couple weeks off to head down with you to WSOP, but we all know how my "plans" always turn out...so we'll see.

Brando said...

If you need a place to crash I know a guy in vegas who has a house with a spare room...

Anonymous said...

I was tired of reading "Poker Folks", so thank you. A new year... a new font. We have to squeeze in some movies before you head out into the desert.