Thursday, July 06, 2006

Some Reasons to Do It

A day later and I honestly feel closer to taking the leap. I'm thinking along a more positive track today. Here are some reasons why I should feel OK with trying that I tend take for granted:

1) I have been a consistent winner in NLH cash games over the last year and have amassed a nice little bankroll while only playing occassionally. I know I'm better than most players and have as good a chance as anyone to be successful.
2) I have friends and family that I can count on. I don't intend to let myself get down to the felt but its good to know I have people who care and will lend a hand if I ask. (Although I'm not the kind of person to borrow from anyone so I just won't let it go that far.)
3) I know many people who have jobs outside of the corporate world that pay much less than mine. They get along just fine. Hell, I used to get along just fine when I was making a third as much and living in the red. One friend in particular, my bfam, is a source of inspiration. He doesn't make a ton of money and doesn't even like his job (but he does like the people he works with...that's important). Yet he keeps on keepin' on. And he has a better attitude than I.

So its all about taking life by the throat instead of letting life stand with a foot on yours.

It also dawned on me that it would help if I disliked the people that I work for as I have in almost every job prior to this. But here, all the bosses with whom I have any contact are good people. If I still worked for DickHead, I'd be out the door before I could click 'Publish Post.'

Stay tuned. This is getting interesting.

SEEYa

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

Holy crap now this is startin to get good. On with my comments on the subject.

As I was saying before, you need a plan and you need to follow it. But, you always need the skills to do it. You sir, have the skills to do it. You have the ability to grind out long hours, and will usually come up big even in the little games because of your style of play. Your style of play combined with your experience and skills make you VERY able to do it for a living.

You're also very emotionally stable. A must for any professional poker player. You know in your head what certain situations could mean whether you win or lose, but you never let that grossly overtake you through emotion. Again, something I'm working on.

And on to what you said about you financial situation. It's obvious you're not scrounging for cash, and on top of that you've built yourself a nice little bankroll over the time of you playing cards. And I know better than everyone how much time you've spent playing, and how much time you SHOULD have spent playing over the past year. Yet, as little as it was you still have amassed a great start.

Now those are just a few reasons why I think you're qualified to do it. It's ultimately going to be your decision based on what you WANT to do. If you're looking for a change and some excitement that could definitely lead to more a PROFITABLE and PLEASURABLE future, then I'd say get out now while you can. Whether that's starting your own business or playing poker professionaly, I would say to follow your heart more than your brains on this one. Is that cuz I'm a gambler at heart? Absolutely. But I also have the time of my life when I follow mine......