Friday, July 07, 2006

Remember...Friday is Chicken Day

I had made the decision yesterday that I would give my notice at work today, Friday. I mean I was really happy to have come to that point. I was ready to do it. I still am. But I'm not going to. Allow me to explain the circumstances.

I found myself in back-to-back meetings yesterday that would normally bore and frustrate me. Instead, I was quite relaxed knowing that I would not be doing this anymore in just over two weeks. It fealt really good.

Then my day took a somewhat tragic turn. On my way home, I was involved in an accident. A car made a left turn in front of me as she was trying to cross traffic and enter a commercial driveway. Other stopped cars gave her room to get through but there was no one in my lane. So I was cruising. Neither of us saw the other until she had pulled into my lane. She slowly came to a stop and I down-shifted and slammed on my brakes. I could see I was not going to stop in time so I quickly checked to see that the sidewalk was clear of pedestrians (there was a wall of cars on my left). I had an opening to try and make it into the driveway that she had been heading toward. letting off the brake to allow the tires to grab, I made a hard right getting as much into the driveway as I could. But her car was blocking enough that I had to send my right side up the curb just prior to the driveway.

The Bullitt slammed over the curb hard but was able to narrowly avoid contact with her car. Drifting into the parking lot, I was in an expected state of shock. I was even more shocked when the other driver pulled up next to me and stopped. She asked if I was OK. I said yes but, after looking at the right side of my car...maybe not. Both passenger side rims were damaged and the front tire flat. She thought she had done nothing wrong because the others cars had let her through. She also said she was late for class (a college student) and had to go.

At first, she didn't want to give me any of her info. She is young and inexperienced and didn't want to do anything that she shouldn't. I gave her my phone so she could call her father but she could not get a hold of him. I told her again that I needed her info. When she continued to avoid it, I indicated that we had to or "the police would have to become involved." I wasn't trying to threaten her. It was just a fact. If she tried to leave me high and dry, I would simply get her plate number and give them a call.

Fortunately, there was a man in the parking lot who saw the accident and assured her that what I was saying was correct. He was also a witness and handed me his name and number. That was a big relief right off. Eventually, she and I did exchange all our information. She also managed to contact her father. I had no problem waiting for him to arrive since I wasn't going anywhere until I changed the front wheel out for the spare. It was only for her peace of mind that I waited on him. Of course, when he finally arrived, he asked what happened and told me my damage was my fault. I said, "Is that why you came here? To tell me it's my fault?" He said a few other things as I waved him off and went to my trunk for the spare tire. And, even though it was my fault according to him, he stepped back over to me and said he would "help" me with some of the repair. Rrrrrriiiiiight.

No way, man. I know better than that. I used to be a claim investigator/adjuster. I'll get it repaired faster through my insurance and they can go after her or her insurance provider.

That night, John came over to play tennis. I told him about my plan to quit my job today. He was surprised at first but understood what I was talking about. I said I might chicken out and he replied, "You won't." That was a great vote of confidence. But he also suggested another option...ask for a leave of absence from work. I had read up on this in the HR manual but didn't really consider it a viable option. Its generally intended for people who need family leave...pregnancy or death. But, then again, it couldn't hurt to ask if I am going to quit anyway. So I'm going to do that.

However, seeing as I had to come in late today so I could take my car to a shop and get a rental, I don't think this is the best day to be requesting a LOA. I'm also feeling a little vulnerable knowing I'll have to pay for some of the repair to my car (they prorate the value of the tires based on wear). So a paycheck is a welcome concept today.

I stewed over this decision last night. Lying in bed for a couple hours, I decided to get up and check out my finances. I looked online at my bank balances and counted all the cash I had on hand. I hoped knowing exactly where I am at now and will be at in a week would help ease my mind. It did somewhat.

But I have decided to remain 100% employed for the weekend. I'm going to request LOA on Monday. If they aren't agreeable, I will give them two weeks notice. My pulse is racing a bit just thinking about it. Its a very exciting time.

SEEYa

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

Bah! The gods are tempting your dedication to the game, those bastards!! That totally sucks about your car man, that's such a downer. And I think your current plan is a good one. You got a good head on your shoulders, so whatever happens I think you'll end up in an ok position.

Now that you and Joe are playing I feel like I'm behind the crowd. I thought I woulda been the FIRST one to do it! Now it looks like I'll be waiting awhile....