Monday, March 06, 2006

Pandora - Letting Me Out of this Box

A few days ago, I found Pandora. Network security at my office doesn’t allow streaming so I can’t listen to net radio running through Real or Windows Media. But they don’t block Flash-enabled streaming. So I did a google search for “Flash Radio” and found Pandora among a few others.

I’m really diggin’ it. You create your own music stations by entering an artist name or song title. From that simple step, Pandora plays music that is similar to, or inspired by, your selection. I started with Megadeth and got a genuine heavy metal mix. No hair metal included there. Then I created a station for Skid Row, another of my favorites. But I wasn’t so happy with the result which included more modern so-called rock groups instead of bands from Skid’s era.

So, since I was now looking for some hair metal, I tried Lynch Mob. Unfortunately, they don’t have it in their db. But they do have Dokken. Close enough, I went with them and ended up with just what I was hoping for…Bands like Whitesnake, Ozzy, Winger, Ratt, Autograph, and Skid Row.

Today, I created a couple more stations. This morning was Harry Connick Jr. I found myself falling asleep. But that’s my own fault for choosing such a soothing genre. This afternoon, I created a Stevie Wonder station. Perfect! So far its played Stevie, Tower of Power, Freddie Jackson, and Maze & Frankie Beverly. Now I’m feeling a bit more energized.

This is cool, listening to music in the office without having my own CD collection in tow or draining the battery on my iPod. The only problem…Now I really need noise-canceling headphones to drown out all these people around me. Where the hell did they come from anyway? Oh, yeah. They’re pretending to work here, too.

SEEYa

No comments: