Wednesday, November 29, 2006

An Exercise to Exorcise

I may have made a mistake. When I started posting my thoughts, I wanted to stay somewhat anonymous so I could write whatever I wanted. This meant I would tell few friends and no family about this site. Kid Crash and SMC are close friends to whom I end up telling pretty much everything anyway so they know. There are a few other friends also in that category. However, in recent months I may have become a little too proud of my writing and, as a result, sent a link to a couple people that I wish I hadn't.

Its not that I have anything against them. Rather I feel I have to be careful about my content. I don't want to post anything about them or anyone that they know as it could be a little too revealing. I'm not sure what. I just think there might be something. So I've written a few entries that I have yet to post because of this.

That is why I am writing this now. An exercise in simply writing. I had not planned to write about why I am writing. Instead, I resolved to start typing and publish whatever came out...interesting or not...revealing or not. After all, I have been quite absent from my own blog while having plenty to write about. My trip to England and Ireland for intsance.

Ali invited me then her sister Beck decided to get married and Ali left for America. Their dad, Patrick, would still be around to welcome me in....until he was called away on business. That left Ali's other sister, Joanna. She got stuck with the guy from America that she had never met or even spoken to. But she was cool about it. In fact, she was willing to show me around and introduce me to many of her friends. What can I say? Very cool. About one week in to my stay, I heard Jo tell a friend on the phone, "My cousin from America is here." I whispered, "I'm not your cousin." (hilarity ensued) I didn't know where that idea came from but it was probably better that she thought I was more than just some guy her sister had invited. At least until we got to know each other a little.

Strangely, my mom now tells me that we are distant cousins. I don't remember how it goes but it is through marriage somewhere way back. Whatever the relation, I felt welcomed. While I don't throw the word around lightly, I think I would call Jo a friend. That's my side of it anyway. It is hard to tell with her. She's generally nice and outgoing. So its hard to say how much of a bond there was. Time will tell. A long time, in fact. There is a lot of water between here and there so its not like we can meet for drink any old time. That's the tough thing for me. Friends are important. And being away from them aint nice. That's one of the reasons I am glad to be home.

I came back about a week early but kept it a secret so I could surprise my mom on Thanksgiving. That was fun. My sister recorded "the reveal" so we have a video of it. Then I surprised SMC, calling him at work. We met that night at the Yard for some Guinness (pretty good actually. I was worried it would pale in comparrison to what I had in Dublin) then went to see Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. The movie was a bit of a let down but I was there with the right person.

Good to be home and longing for other places.

SEEYa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you're home. You were missed. You should post your travel pics.

Chawwles said...

Yeah, show your true blogging colors and post some pics from your trip! And don't taint your blog....you're killin me. This is a circle of trust man....