Wednesday, November 08, 2006

COFFEE! NOW!!

This was written in a cafe in London on Monday the 6th...some thoughts from the moment...

I was trying to avoid familiar things like fast food (Burger King seems to be the most popular here), Subway (for some reason, I don't think of that as fast food), and Starbucks. I spend an hour or so in a Starbucks about 4 or 5 days each week back at home. I'm here for new experiences.

While walking around London yesterday, I found a Starbucks (wasn't looking for it; just stumbled upon it; maybe it found me). I decided it would be a good idea to remember where it was in case I found myself in withdrawal at some point in my trip.

...BTW, a couple people have already told me there are Starbucks everywhere. Well, they don't know what "everywhere" means. I've only found the one in my whole trip so far. In SoCal, you can't swing a cat (with a city-block-long tail) without knocking a freshly brewed venti caramel macchiato out of someone's hand...

Anyway, I spent a while in the National Gallery today and, after having walked through London for four hours yesterday, I fealt like I had hit the wall. I had plans to meet Jo for dinner and still had an hour and a half to kill. But I didn't feel up to anymore walking. It occurred to me that I was not far from the aforementioned 'Bucks which was also near Jo's work where we had agreed to meet.

I started looking for more reason to take this familiar path. I could easily go to one of many other coffee houses in the city that are of the same vein as Starbucks. However, I haven't had what I think of as a decent coffee since I got here. There is a slight but noticeable difference to me.


Then it hit me. What about the differences with the British 'Bucks? There are bound to be some just as most everything else here is similar but different. Since I am exploring, I need to investigate this. Turns out the place is very familiar (except that the music differs...possibly better...Riders on the Storm was just on) and the coffee is just as it should be, as far as I am concerned. I am enjoying a hazelnut latte and am, obviously since I'm writing, inspired.

That leads me to my first finding of this trip: I love L.A. That's not a knock on London, mind you. I do like it here. But I have yet to find anything significantly special about the place. Its like L.A. but different. Still, I am only one week in and have a lot of time to experience more.

(Bowie's Changes just finished playing.)

That's what I wrote while sitting in Starbucks. Afterward, I met up with Jo and she took me to Soho. Without going into detail, we walked past at least four more 'Bucks and had a great time at two bars. So already my impression was shown to be off.



SEEYa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The key to a fast food franchise... continuity/similarity. Check out the Ministry of Sound.

Chawwles said...

I heart Starbucks




Shirt it