Wednesday, August 16, 2006

"Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessle's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever had." -- Tyler (Fight Club)

Tomorrow is the first day of my new life. At least it didn't take Tyler Durden holding a gun to my head to get me to do it. Although, if you've been reading, it may have felt like a gun to your head.

Today is the last day on the job. Last day of the cross-county commute. Last day in a cubicle. Last day in the rat race...for at least a little while. Hopefully forever.

I just got back from a farewell lunch with my coworkers. However I may have made it seem, they are nice people. I like them. (Of course, I can say that because none of the ones that I don't like were at lunch.) During the meal, they asked what I was planning to do and I told them. It came as a surprise to all because I haven't been advertising the fact that I will be playing poker full time. I was happy to find good responses and well wishes from each on them.

It turns out, everyone wishes they could take a similar chance. A chance at something that isn't in a corporate building. On something that they really enjoy and maybe love. I also realized that I can stay in touch with a few of the more likable people because they play tennis together several times each week. I've played with them a few time, too. So I'll try to meet up with them on the courts now and then.

More and more, I am sure it is the right thing for me to do. It starts tomorrow. But it seems like I've already been doing it for a while. I've certainly been preparing for a long time. Just a few more hours and no more alarm clock. Woo Hoo!

SEEYa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected!" Fuck yeah!

Chawwles said...

Great quote for the situation! Good luck (or should I say uuhhh....good poker) in your new life. It's something to be envious of, that's for sure. Though lately I've been thinkin of doin the same thing and just playin at Chumash, partly because I'm sick and tired of where I work now and also because I'm young so I figure I can float around for a bit and not have it hurt my life too bad if I miss. But I'd say that you're probably more fit for the role than me at this point :)