Friday, June 02, 2006

Darsky's Poker Truths

The following is a list of poker-related thruths. I hesitate to call them "Laws" because they have not been scientifically tested and I'm not that arrogant...take my word for it...I'm not. They are kind of quidelines but not quite rules. At any rate, I have discovered them through my experience at the tables so I know them to be generally true...hence, "Truths." Take 'em or leave 'em:

1) No one wants to believe they are beat -- Even against the tightest players, no one wants to believe the bettor has actually made a hand. They may lay down their own cards to a bet because they did not make a hand, but they will usually does so reluctantly. They expect that any preflop raise followed by a flop bet is an indication of a bluff with overcards.
***How do you use this info?: If you make a raise before the flop, follow up with a bet on the flop [unless you have good reason to think you are behind and your opponent(s) will not fold]. Do this whether you have hit it big or entirely missed. It disquises the strength of your stronger hands. You will get action with big hands more often than not.

2) Look to your left before calling -- From time to time I find a mediocre hand that I want to try limping in with. It usually happens from the small blind when I can play almost any hand for a discount. Trouble appears when the player to my immediate left raises behind me. Suddenly, instead of limping, I've thrown away money on a hand that I am not willing to play for a raise.
***Yeah? And? So? What?: While many players wait until the action gets to them before looking at their cards, some will go to them while waiting for the person on their right to act. Sometimes, a player will go so far as to pick up chips for a raise. What a great tell! All you have to do is look to your left...then lay it down and save some coin.

3) The Man-Ass Theorem -- People! Please! No. It stands for "Maniacs and Assholes." Card rooms are filled with peolpe who fall into this classification. They tend to be wild and aggressive. Plenty of ego in play. They bet big and call big. They like to trap and love to bluff. During the course of a hand, money means nothing to them (its after they lose that they tilt).
***What do you do with these future felons?: Be careful. Don't bluff into them too often. The #1 Truth applies to them which means they will call often. Then you won't know where you are in the hand as it's hard to put them on a hand or draw. In other words, pick your spots.

4) Trust your reads -- You may be wrong and suffer non-profit or a negative hit in any particluar hand. But one should always try to act based on informed decisions. If you call when you think you are beat or fold when you think you have the best hand, why bother making reads. And why bother getting involved at all. I've been there...I'll be there again...so I know from whence I speak.
***How do you use this?: Trust your read and be satisfied in knowing that you did what you did for a reason. Then learn from the results of those reasons.

I have more Truths running around my noggin but nothing else is coming to mind right now. I'll post more of them as they come up.

SEEYa

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

"3) The Man-Ass Theorem -- People! Please! No. It stands for 'Maniacs and Assholes.'"

Hahah the creation of this abbreiviation-word concoction was great. I was still cracking up about it the next day. There was this blackjack dealer at the dealer's game last night who was definitely all Man-Ass. He was wearing a Commerce hat to the game, which made it funnier. I beat him when we got heads-up in the $20 tourney we played. Good times.