Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bitches, Man!

After the stint of traveling in June, I lost the urge to write that had returned to me only weeks before. So its been some time and, quite honestly, this one is kind of forced. I need to get some things off my chest.

First of all, the Legends of Poker series is underway at the Bike right now. All month long, there will be plenty of action there. I got some of it last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was pretty interesting as I played rather poorly in many spots and ran card-dead yet my overall results were the same as they usually are. Two winning sessions and one losing one leaving me in the black.

The first night, I was at a table that ran both loose and tight with occasional bouts or lunacy. Normally, I end up under the bus against players like that but I was lucky enough to have Q-Q hold up against A-Ks when the guy moved all-in over the top of me for my remaining $350. I had raised to $40 in a stradled pot and he found big slick from the stradle. I put him on just that and called, resigned to only be a small favorite. Then I woke up to A-A in the small blind (another stradle on) after the button had raised to $30. I made it $90, he called, I lead out with $150 on the flop and he folded. Those were the only significant hands of that session which ended at 2:30am +395. I'll take it.

The next night, pretty much the same for me except the table was pure action! There was hardly ever a hand that wasn't raised and reraised preflop. And it wasn't because everyone was wild and loose. Some took their shots but most of the time people had huge starting hands. I liked that spot so I joined in the banter and waited to find something good to go with. I ended up finding 5-5 in the small blind against a raise to $20 that had been called by to late positions. I called, followed by the big blind. The flop was Ts-7s-5s. I only had about $280 but decided to check and hope someone bets. Sure enough, the 1s bet $100 as he was likely to do if he caught any piece of the flop. But this time he looked extra cagey as if he had a huge hand himself. Then the 3s called and it folded around to me.

From the 1s's demeanor, I had to consider him having flopped the flush. But then I put the 3s on a big spade, probably the A. So I'm either ahead right now or need the board to pair. But I wasn't going to fold. I had a chance to more than triple up with this hand and finally get something going. I moved all-in and the 1s went into the tank. After a bit, he decided to call and the 3s quickly moved all-in over the top with enough to cover the 1s. With a little more thought, the 1s folded. The 3s declared he had "the nuts" and showed As-Qs. I said, "Potential nuts," and tabled mine. I was neither surprised nor disheartened as I had already accounted for this situation. It was quick and painless...T on the turn and I took it down. I was able to work my stack up a couple hundred more afterwards but that hand made the night. I cashed out at 3:00am +615.

Oops. Its past 8:30pm. I need to hit the road and finish this later.

SEEYa

1 comment:

Chawwles said...

Wait...so you were in a cardroom....and you WON??! What the hell, there's definitely something false about this story.


New York was tight but basically since we got back I haven't had the urge to write either. I don't know why, cuz it was a pretty awesome trip for me in many respects. But whatever, I'm sure one of us will get around to writing about someday...