Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Work/Life Rant

I wrote the following over a month ago but wasn't sure if I wanted to publish it. I was just venting at the time. However, the statements/realizations are meaningful. And, while some days are better than others (like the day after I wrote this when my boss told me about a bonus I was getting), my conclusion holds true. So here it is (sorry. no hand histories.)...

I could write every day about how much I dislike working. But the truth is, I can’t really complain. A friend of mine often describes my work life to new acquaintances as “Office Space.” That is because I have been able to do the Peter Gibbons thing at each of my last four jobs.

At one, I was the only person who did the job I did. So they were dependent on my services and had to keep me happy. The best way to do that is to just leave me alone. I’ll do the work that needs to be done and I’ll do it fast and right. When there isn’t much to do, just don’t bug me. That’s how it went there. So I was able to come in late, take long lunches, and leave early. Whenever my attendance was questioned, I simply queried, “Do you have any issues with my work?” That always sets them back on their heels.

BTW, I work in IT Development so, financially, I do alright. And since its development, I adhere to the concept that nothing should ever be so critical that it can’t wait until I get back. So I’m never frantic like so many around me.

The next job had me working on the road throughout the States. At first, I had nothing to do except for a few training classes that the company required all new developers to attend. It was one of those situations where I knew more than the instructors. (Now, don’t get the wrong idea about me. I don’t make a big deal about such things. Instead, I sit quietly and try to stay awake.) In this case, the instructor realized that I new more than she did so she began eliciting my help when she was unsure or stumped. It actually worked out well…we had some fun times in class.

When I wasn’t in training in Florida or Connecticut, I was at my home office which was, literally, in my home. I just had to get online each day to check my email to see if anyone had work for me. I didn’t even have to stay there all day. It was very nice. Eventually, they found a few horrible assignments for me and I went from not working at all to 14 hour days. Not to mention the many flights to the east coast or HI…very long when you do it twice a week.

After a while, a long assignment I was on slowed to a crawl as personnel at the client company began to change. I went from 14 hour days to 8 to 7 to 6. By that time, my colleagues and I had little to do and amused ourselves playing Unreal Tournament on the company’s network (they didn’t have good security.) Toward the end of my stint there, we watched Office Space on my laptop in the middle of the day. No one ever complained. It definitely bore hints of Office Space.

My next job was a return to an old company. I had left because they didn’t want to pay me what I wanted. I returned at a higher price (Muwahahaha!) This time, I was not the only person doing the job. But I had a higher level of expertise. So, once again, I was left to do things my way. And, since there were now three of us (one who was my supervisor on paper and one who did all the menial daily tasks), the workload was small for me. Back to coming in late, long lunches, and leaving early.

I left there to work at a similar company to do the same kind of development. But this time, it was one big project that was scoped to take 12 months to complete. 24 months later, there was no end in sight. Throughout that two year period, I didn’t have much to do. I tried to get things moving along to the point where I would have alot to work on. But the project leaders allowed the whole thing to flounder. So, once again, I was going in late, taking long lunches, and leaving early. A couple of times, I incorporated an afternoon Guinness at the Yard. Its really odd to be in there while the sun is still out. But I did that because I could.

I left that company because, as with those before it, I saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. And I was right. That company was sold and pretty much dissolved. My next employer would be quite the opposite.

The next one was my current one. It’s a huge company that continues to grow and at which they don’t like to fire anyone. There are people there who everyone agrees are incompetent and more trouble than they are worth. But rather than sacking them, they just get moved around from project to project…The “let him be somebody else’s problem” method.

I happen to work with some really good people. Actually, “work with” isn’t the right term. That’s because I have had barely anything to do in the year and a half that I have been there. And my boss has been located in a separate building this whole time. So, with no work and no one looking over our shoulders, my coworkers and I have been able to come in late, take long lunches, and leave early.

I should note, throughout my career, I have never hidden the fact that I was lacking in work. In fact, I have always made it known when I had nothing to do and welcomed anything to keep me busy. But the whole point here is that I can’t complain too much since I get paid well to do nothing. I can complain about my situation though.

I hate working in a cubicle. I hate working for people who waste time over minutia like Khakis vs. Jeans. I hate the politics involved in every aspect of the work place. I hate driving 30 miles each way in L.A. traffic. I hate the misuse of “passion” by applying it to a corporate mission statement. I hate annual reviews and being made to outline my professional goals. But mostly, I hate that I keep going, day after day, subjecting myself to all of this. I hate that its my own fault.

I have a college degree. I have never found anything that I could not do. If I couldn’t at first, I figured out how to. And I excel at most things I take on. So I should feel secure in leaving behind a constant, hefty paycheck to go try my hand at something I enjoy and can really kick ass at. (The first thing on my mind is poker. I do have the goods. I just have to find the guts.)

“First rule of poker: Look at your cards.” -- friends in home game

We’ll see if this rant has been at all cathartic.

SEEYa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Golden handcuffs. My friend, you should quit before it is too late. You can always return.